Sunday, August 19, 2007

Arisaig, Coming Along

Despite the tiny needles and very small gauge, one week on Arisaig has taken me from this:


To this:


To this:

That's a finished back!

I'm not gonna lie, I'm a little worried that this isn't going to fit. When I swatched for this project, I came out a little over gauge, which I figured was perfect because I wanted a size directly in between the XS and the S. I quickly did some calculations to figure out what the dimensions of the garment would be with my gauge and it looked perfect. I've been measuring as I go and it seems ok, but it just looks so small! Granted, I can't really see what the final size will be because it's lace and ribbing, and it's unblocked. Once I've finished my first front piece, I will block both it and the back and make sure I'm going in the right direction.

I can't believe this project isn't taking me longer. I was sure I was in for a two-month knitting project when I grabbed my size 1 and 2 needles. Of course, of the one week of knitting I spent on the back, three days were vacation knitting, two were bored-in-the-Mojave-desert knitting, one was travel knitting, and one was three-hour-commute-because-Caltrain-sucks knitting. No normal life knitting, which is usually allotted much less time. We'll see -- I started the right front, and it's going pretty quickly as well.

I love this pattern! And I looked up Ysolda Teague when I started and realized that I love ALL of her patterns. What a talented designer! I think I want to make everything in her shop.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Woah. Hil, that was quick! ;D

I have to admit, I was pretty skeptical about the sizing too--But, you know better than I do how it'll look, since you did a swatch.

Can't wait to seee more progress on this (crafting salon today!)

Anonymous said...

I love each place you took a picture of while knitting it, lucky lucky you!