Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Amica In Propria Persona

Before joining the knitblog community last May, I didn't have many experiences in corresponding with people I hadn't met in real life before. I mean, there was that pen pal (Allison, I think?) I had when I was 10, but that's about it. In the past year, though, I have found that you don't necessarily have to know someone in real life to have a sort of relationship with them, even if (or maybe especially if) the information you share is mostly limited to something like knitting.

Anyway, last week real life and internet life collided when I found myself sitting across a coffee shop table from real life knitblogger, Barefoot Rooster. We "met" during last year's Fingerless Mitts for Fall KAL and have shared emails and blog comments over the past year. Let me tell you, it was so cool to meet her! And she provided further proof that knitters are the most interesting, smart, awesome people out there. We chatted over coffee and chai, and in a completely small world moment, it was revealed that she went to the same university as my brother during two of the same years. Who knows? Maybe our paths have crossed before!

We then took a walk to her fantastic LYS and did a little shoppin':


Unfortunately, purchases were made from the full price bins.

Another cool thing was getting to see her knitting in real life! (See awesome leg warmers above).

Thanks so much for such a great morning! I hope we can do it again soon.

10 comments:

Aesderina said...

that's so sweet!! making new friends in real life and having it work out is pretty awesome:)

erngrn said...

oh thats so much fun!

The Thinking Post said...

What fun! Steve often says that blogging is a lot like having pen pals.

Want to know a coincidence? I began blogging last May and this weekend I'm going to have my first meeting with a fellow blogger - for Sunday brunch. Weird timing parallels.

That's a very cute picture of you two!

the Lady said...

Très cool.

Anonymous said...

i don't think you have an alien head! What a terrific morning. I'm looking forward to next time too!

At Home Mommy Knits said...

How fun!!

Anonymous said...

That is such a cheerful story. So glad you had a really fun morning.

Anonymous said...

how cool! that sounds like fun.

jennifer said...

This post made me smile. :)

Teresa said...

What an awesome experience! More proof to my theory that knitting people are the best people.