Monday, June 14, 2010

Res Completa: Citron Deux

For the most part, I'm a pretty monogamous knitter. I start a project and I stick with it to the end, rarely casting on anything else until it's finished. But every once in awhile, I cast on for something specifically to pick up and put down in between larger projects. Because I hate that in between time when you're too lazy or don't have time to do all the research and swatching for that new project, but waiting another day to click your needles is absolutely unthinkable. In April, I started what was supposed to be an in-between project for the next several months: a Citron, in the Wabi Sabi Lush Lace I bought at Stitches, expanded into however many ruffle sections the yarn and I could handle.

But after about about six weeks, I couldn't do it anymore. I was working on other projects, the whole time thinking about the fact that this Citron had live stitches on the needles, and it started driving me crazy. I HAD TO FINISH IT.



I only did 7 repeats because, seriously, I couldn't handle any more stitches, and I'm very happy with this size. I'm even happier about the color of this yarn. Obsessed, in fact. Somehow, this color matches nothing in my closet, yet goes with absolutely everything.



The specs--

Pattern: Citron, by me
Yarn: Wabi Sabi Yarns Lush Lace, exactly half a skein of Peacock (~650 yards)
Needles: US 5 circs
Start to Finish: April 1 - June 2, 2010



Mods: Using the ultra-handy spreadsheet of stitch counts and frequency of increases kindly created by Rav user lababla (downloadable here), I expanded the shawl out to 7 sections. Many knitters of Citron have done the same, and theirs turned out so beautifully (especially this one, which was hanging in the Wabi Sabi booth at Stitches and made me buy the yarn in the first place) that I had to do it, too. I mostly wear my shawls bunched around my neck, so the small size of the original Citron suits my needs pretty well, but I fully admit that 7 sections works better for a shawl to be worn around the shoulders.



And now that this is done, I am feeling much better.

20 comments:

Susan said...

This is a great version of your pattern. The yarn and color look amazing.

Chantal Boucher said...

Haaa one thing at a time! I agree! I start a second one just to make sure that i don't have a gap in between. This shawl pattern is yours? I didn't know, it's so popular, i love it. For sure, i knit it one time, when my project is finished maybe! Bravo again for it!!

Thea said...

I hear ya! Can't get into something if another voice keeps whispering in my ear either. Love the blue!

peaknits said...

This is beautiful! I love the colorway - and it looks so versatile! Nice work - again:)

barefootrooster said...

swoon. i'm planning some quality time with my citron tonight. this is just stunning.

Virginia G said...

Really lovely! I adore the color. I've been quite drawn to that exact shade this summer.

Marissa said...

Thanks for linking the chart, I've got Citron queued on Rav, and was trying to work out where to put the increases for extra repeats :-)

jennifer said...

That colour is insane! So beautiful against your hair. I can hardly wait to cast on for this baby, but I feel inspired by your self-control in only having one or two things on the needles, so I guess I will!

April said...

The color looks wonderful on you.

I keep seeing all these beautiful Citron's and I might just have to make one myself now.

Mr Puffy's Knitting Blog: said...

Monogamous knitting....interesting. I must be a polygamous knitter because I probably have no less than 10 projects going. Who knew? LOL

That color is made for you! I'm beginning to believe that shawls are most beautiful in a solid tone. It's gorgeous! Enjoy :)

Jacey said...

The color is awesome. It's so vibrant!

Julie said...

So pretty!! that colour is amazing, and you can never have too many citrons, right?!

Aline said...

I love this! I wanted to make a big Citron too, thank you for linking that cool calculator. I have also admired your new rav projects...me that loves orange as much as green...awww Ali xx

Aesderina said...

I'm not a big fan of blue but that colour looks amazing on you! I love the last photo, where it's a little bit see through. I know what you mean about not being able to wait another day.

ZuzanaK said...

Hi Hilary! It's funny how all this time I knew about Citron but never realised you were the designer! Shame on me! And well done you.

Teresa said...

Beauty! It's like jeans - they match everything, and yet are blue. I'm not sure I get that.

Kathleen Dames said...

So pretty - that colorway is gorgeous! I need to get cracking on my own Citron :)

Maryse said...

This is such a smart and cute little shawl! The color is indeed gorgeous! Have a great weekend!

VeganCraftastic said...

It's lovely, such a great color!

Unknown said...

I love the yarn color and it looks like a nice size shawl for these colder than normal days :)