Friday, July 9, 2010

Res Originalis: Go Giants!

As big a fan as I am of my San Francisco Giants, I, sadly, have hardly any knitwear love to show for it. There's the kinda ugly chevron scarf I made back before I was too scared to knit anything but scarves (and it was made with bulky weight yarn on size 6 needles. Brilliant.), and then the really ugly hat I made before I knew how to knit in the round, so I did it flat. Anyway, with the team's colors being black and orange, it's kind of hard to even conceive of a nice-looking, team-themed garment that doesn't make one look like a jack-o-lantern, but I thought I'd give it a shot.



Pattern: Made it up as I went
Yarn: Knit Picks Swish DK, 5 skeins of Coal and 3.5 skeins of Orange
Needles: US 6 circs and dpns
Start to Finish: May 3-14, 2010



This sweater was knit all in the round from the bottom up, using Elizabeth Zimmerman's Percentage System (EPS) via Custom Knits for the yoke. The shaping was super easy, with the hem being the appropriate number of inches larger than the bust (which *ahem* is more than when I first started knitting sweaters three years ago) and the decreases spaced evenly up the body.

The whole thing is in reverse stockinette but I cheated, just knitting in regular stockinette then turning it inside out when I was done (that much purling...*shudder*). To keep the stripes clean, I purled the first row each time I switched colors. Oh, and all the edges (sweater bottom, sleeves, and collar) are in garter rib for some non-roll action.

I was sure to make the sleeves extra long for those cooooold nights at the ballpark. A snuggly sweater also softens the blow of rooting for a team that started out the season looking like they were sure contenders for the play-offs, then falling to 4th place before the All Star break...


Contrary to the claims of this late '80's-era button, one often does not feel good when watching the Giants.

I won't deny that it still looks very much like a Halloween sweater, but it serves its purpose and I'm happy to have finally expressed my team love through my craft. Thumbs up!

In completely unrelated news, my parents just got their very first puppy, and please tell me she isn't one of the cutest things ever:

25 comments:

jess said...

go giants! cute sweater -- just keep the pin on it (or consider putting a patch on it? like: http://www.amazon.com/Francisco-Giants-Jersey-Cream-Patch/dp/B0034CNM5Q ) and it'll keep it out of Halloween territory. :)

cute puppy!

Hilary said...

That is a fantastic idea, Jess! I will need to pick one of those up the next time I'm at the ballpark. Thank you!

Jessica said...

Love it! Of course, it would look much better in purple and gold.... :)

Amy said...

Like the sweater, even though I'm a Padre fan! And your parents are in for some serious puppy fun & trouble!

Helga Marie Bee said...

once again- stunning!!!

Aline said...

I really like your fan themed sweater. Makes me wish I could find a similar experience just to knit such a thing...and that adorable puppy!! What's her name?

Thea said...

It's awesome - and if it's a little Halloween-y, that just means you can wear it for an additional occasion!

Kitten said...

That sweater is amazing and would also make a good Philly Flyers sweater. :)

Margo said...

Yet again, AMAZING knit, Hil!
P.S. Tell you mom I'm happy for her! Travis and I have been commenting for a few years that Kathy needed her own pup for the canal. She's always so good with your brother's :)

Heathwitch said...

That is an amazing sweater -- and, while I can't say I've ever seen the Giants in action (living in England an' all), I must say how much I love the colours -- Halloween colours are so much my thing! :)

Are you going to release the pattern at some point? I love the interplay of colours and the construction!

And yay! for cute puppies! *offers pettins*

peaknits said...

What a fabulous sweater - a true fan indeed! I'm sorry, I can't tell you that puppy is not the cutest thing ever, just can't. :)

Helga Marie Bee said...

I am loving the longer sleeves!!!
please please please publish this pattern!!

Sara said...

The sweater is cute and all, but the puppy is totally stealing the show from you here. What an adorable dog!

the Lady said...

Shit, blogger just ate my comment.
Ok - LOVE the sweater and the Giants love! I just went to my first ball game (Go A's! I love Oakland) and was thinking that I needed to knit myself a green and gold argyle sweater for when the sun goes down!
Let me know about Stitch and Pitch!
I loved this post! Enjoy your snuggly sweater!

Teresa said...

Such a cute sweater AND new puppy :) I need to get me both of those.
What breed is the new wee one?

Mr Puffy's Knitting Blog: said...

What an AWESOME sweater!!! I think the Giants ought to invite you to toss out the first pitch :) Is it baseball season? If so - GOOOO Giants!

Sigh. I too have sadly neglected my team (Notre Dame) in the knitting realm. I'm thinking a hat.

The puppy is adorable :) I'll bet that one even obeys....

Anita said...

Hi Hilary, Yep...the puppy is cute! Your knitting looks great. Kind regards, Anita.

Sue said...

I really like your sweater, the orange and black look great together and I always like sweaters with garter stitch in them. The puppy is so adorable and I bet she will get up to lots of mischief. Is she a Jack Russell. Thank you too for your lovely comment about my Citron, I loved knitting the pattern and might knit another for my mum for Christmas too.

ali@skeinsherway.com said...

Love the long long sleeves!

Kristin B said...

Even this die-hard Dodger fan thinks that sweater is super cute! Great job, Hilary! So glad I got to see you last weekend!!

ColorSlut said...

Great sweater!

a friend to knit with said...

okay... that is AWESOME!
and of course, looks stunning on you.
LOVE how you knit it and then turned it inside out. with the purl row in between. clever clever clever.

welcome to the new pup... who will no doubt be smothered in love.

Eliza said...

I'm glad im not the only one with a team who isn't living up to expectations! The swaeter looks great and fits you perfectly!

Worsted Knitt said...

What an amazing sweater! I've never heard of garter rib, must look that up, it's looking good!

Lolly said...

Fabulous! I have been planning a Pittsburgh Penguins sweater for awhile now, and this serves as great inspiration. Love the simple design and the great fit. Sports teams choose pretty garish colors - Penguins are black and yellow - but it is so much fun to wear those colors when rooting for your team :) A great way to support them!