Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Res Completae: Herringbone Mittens



Pattern: Herringbone Mittens with Poms, by Elliphantom
Yarn: Cascade 220 Wool, 1/2 ball of neon green, 1/2 ball of neon pink
Needles: US 4 dpns for the ribbing, US 6 dpns everywhere else
Mods: No time for poms :(.



Notes: FUN! Love the thumbs. I made these puppies for one of my best friends in high school while I was recovering from having my wisdom teeth removed. I will reiterate that while slightly out of it, colorwork may not have been the way to go. I finished though, in time to give them to her when she came to visit with her baby a couple days ago, and am quite pleased with how they turned out.



This particular best friend and I were slightly weird in high school. We loved neon green and pink and weren't afraid to show it. At some point during junior year, we found some neon pink and green gloves on sale at the Gap. We swapped a glove of each color and wore them mismatched, as you can sort of see on me in the embarrassing photo below.



For some time now, I've been wanting to make her something reminiscent of these neon gloves, but in a more grown-up version. I fell in love with Elliphantom's Herringbone Mittens as soon as she published them, and knew they'd be perfect for this purpose. I still may make another pair with the MC and CC switched, and make Amanda swap with me so we can wear them mismatched.

Look, a baby!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

beautiful mittens -- and very cute pictures of them! love the color combination you chose.