Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Patternum Novum: Peponi

I'm not going to lie...after the publication of Citron last winter, I started feeling a little guilty. See, my family has been farming since my great-grandfather immigrated to and it’s melons, not citrus, that have been the main crop for four generations. In fact, that great-grandfather of mine was so involved in growing melons that he was known to most folks in town (and continues to be referred to) as “Cantaloupe Smith”.

In homage to my family’s livelihood, I designed Peponi (Greek for cantaloupe), a piece that mimics the shape of a slice of melon. This shape allows it to be worn as a nice, frothy scarf – the dent at the top (ribbed, like the ridges of a melon where the seeds are scooped out) wraps perfectly around the neck and the tapered ends are easily tied at the front. Peponi is worked mostly in Cellular Stitch, a simple 3-stitch, 4-row lace pattern then opens up into an even simpler lace edging and a crochet-like bind off, which creates pretty "wings" that hang down in the front. Just one skein of special sock yarn is needed for this project. And, in fact, because it's worked from the top down, you can really use as much of any weight of yarn as you'd like.



Peponi - $5.00 via Ravelry(no account is required)



Finished Measurements (after blocking): Length of top edge - 54”/ 137.2 cm; height at center - 11.5”/ 29.2 cm

Yarn Requirements: Madelinetosh Tosh Sock, 1 skein of Gilded (100% Merino; 395 yards/361 meters per 114 g/ 4.02 oz skein)

Needles: US 6 (4.0 mm) 24”/ 60 cm circular needle (or size needed to obtain gauge)

Gauge: 18 sts x 32 rows = 4”/ 10cm in Cellular Stitch; 24 sts x 36 rows = 4”/ 10cm in Stockinette stitch



You can wear it as a shawl, too!



For reasons unknown, I designed this, knit it, wrote up the pattern, and took photos way back in the springtime, and it's taken me this long to actually publish it! I will say that it has been a versatile scarf throughout the months -- appropriate for both warmer weather (due to lacey texture) and colder (it is made from merino wool, after all).



I hope you enjoy!

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

It looks very yummy! Nice!

jennifer said...

OK, seriously! You design things at a faster rate than I knit things! You are a force!

Anonymous said...

It's charming, especially worn with a double wrap as in the bottom photo. Btw, it's about time I told you much I like the Lilas cardigan-- not only the sweater itself but your excellent, beautifully-detailed instructions. Thanks!
-- Gretchen

Aline said...

I love the names you give everything...I think I will use one of my gift skeins for this! The queue gets another hit...Ali xx

Mr Puffy's Knitting Blog: said...

It's absolutely lovely! Your scarf looks so soft and plush in that open work design ~ another beautiful pattern ~ enjoy :)

Have a wonderful Thanksgiving.

PS Love the nickname Cantaloupe Smith ;) Says it all!

Karina said...

Lovely scarf. Need to get some yarn to knit it as it would make a great Christmas gift.

Teresa said...

This is SO CUTE! Might be exactly what I'm needing for a particularly delicious hank of madelinetosh :) You rule.
ps: As always, I love me a great pattern inspiration and backstory!!

Virginia G said...

Pretty! Love the color. It's gorgeous.

keri said...

What a gorgeous design! I love the gentle shoulder shaping - it has such beautiful drape and such a versatile piece too!

Maryse said...

What a great idea and story! So pretty!

Unknown said...

Molto bella!!!

Philigry said...

love all of your new knits!
You look stunning! You must be so excited to meet the little guy! being a mommy is just the best!

I bet your head is spinning with all the knits you want to make for him!

CateinTO said...

Am being really dopey -- bought pattern, started knitting, and got stumped on row 2 -- rows 2 - 3 "work in pattern as set" means repeat Row 1 exactly as is? would think it would have to be reversed for ribbing not in the round? Not sure what this means. Please help, thanks, cate

cate.creede@gmail.com