Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Patternum Gratis: Candlestick Baby Sweater

At long last I've sized and finalized this pattern, which I started writing two and a half years ago! Named after Candlestick Park, the home of the San Francisco Giants during my childhood, this little cotton baby sweater is modeled after men's raglan-sleeved baseball t-shirts. As with my other free patterns, Candlestick has not been tech edited, though the greatest amount of care was given in writing and proof reading it! If you have any questions whatsoever or encounter any errors, please do not hesitate to email or pm me on Ravelry.



Pattern: Candlestick (click here if you don't have a Ravelry account)
Sizes: 3 months (6 mos, 12 mos, 18 mos, 2 years, 4 years)
Finished Measurements: 16.75 (17.5, 18.75, 19.5, 21.25, 23.5)” finished chest measurement
Yarn Requirements: MC: 2 (2, 2, 2, 3, 3) skeins: 158 (165, 175, 184, 203, 222) yards in Natural White; CC: 1 (2, 2, 2, 2, 2) skeins: 93 (100, 104, 110, 120, 126) yards in Orange
Needles: US 6 (4mm) 16” circular needle and same size preferred needles for working a small piece in the round (or size needed to get gauge)
Gauge: 21 stitches x 28 rows = 4” in Stockinette stitch

More info: The body and sleeves are worked in the round until the raglan decreases begin, at which point they are worked flat. Pattern employs short rows to shape the collar, basic increasing and decreasing, seaming, working in the round, and a little bit of grafting.

25 comments:

Julie said...

that little pullover is so, so cute!! I love the baseball look to it, it's hard finding great baby boy patterns. Thanks for writing it up!!

Teresa said...

How adorable! Glad you've posted the pattern. :)

thea said...

so cute! If only my Berkeley nephews were younger....

Jodi said...

Super cute! Now I know what to knit for my friend's new little guy. Thanks so much for sharing the pattern.

Renee said...

So cute, I need to think of a little one I can knit this for. :)

Meghan said...

This is perfect! I have two little ones I want to knit for, and I was actually thinking about doing a baseball inspired design. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

This sweater is sooo darn cute! I can't wait until someone has a boy.
Jo

Missy knits said...

Thank you so much for the pattern! When I saw your original post on this sweater, I fell in love and wanted to knit this for my favorite baby nephew. And now I have the pattern--thank you, thank you!!

Mr Puffy's Knitting Blog: said...

What a clever way to memorialize and share your love of baseball and the home of your Giants! It's pitch perfect :)

Philigry said...

oh, i love this pattern! it will look so sweet on jack. I think i have some cotton in my stash!
thanks so much.

peaknits said...

What a sweet little sweater, thank you for sharing your talent so generously - I have a little nephew coming - the colors might need to be "Wrigley" though:)

Patti (from Ottawa) said...

That is an adorable sweater!

Betty said...

I cannot believe my luck in stumbling upon this cute pattern because my newest Grandson's Dad is a complete SF Giants nut. I can't wait to knit this one up for baby "Chance".
Thank you!

grammynan said...

It will soon be "on my needles".

Anneke said...

After one knits in the round to correct length, the pattern states:

Next round, k2 sts, then place the last 4 sts on a st holder or scrap yarn. K to 2 sts past next
marker and place the last 4 sts on st holder or scrap yarn. K remaining sts of round.

Do you mean the NEXT four stitches rather than the "last four stitches" (twice) in this sentence? That is, should one knit two stitches, then put 4 stitches on the stitch holder, than knit to two stitches past the marker, and put another 4 stitches on the holder, etc.?

Tamara/moogly said...

I love this pattern- so cute! I included a link to this page in a roundup of baseball patterns on my blog this morning. :D

Unknown said...

Love the little jumper, thanks for sharing the pattern

Leigh said...

I see that the yarn used in this pattern is now discontinued. Could you suggest a substitute yarn? I'm hoping to make matching sweaters for my cousin's newborn and 2 year old, since it is now baseball season! Thanks!

Hilary said...

@Leigh -- Oh, I didn't realize it had been discontinued! Any worsted weight cotton yarn would be fine...or any worsted weight anything yarn, actually. I think Knit Picks has some good options (Comfy maybe?)...but as long as you get gauge, you should be good.

Carol said...

Have you updated the pattern since you noted that the neck may be too small? Thank you.

Hilary said...

@Carol -- Unfortunately not -- sorry about that! :(

Sandy said...

why can't I open this pattern?

Hilary said...

Hi Sandy! I think I will need a little bit more information. :) Are you able to download the pattern? Which link are you clicking on to download it? If you're able to download it, what sort of error message are you getting when you try to open the file?

Unknown said...

Hi there, Hope you’re still reading comments on this pattern. I’m knitting it for an A’s fan (😃) and love it so far. My question is how to attach sleeves. Do I start at underarm and work up front and back? Can find no tutorials. Thanks for the great pattern.

Hilary said...

@Unknown -- Do you mean for seaming? You can do it however you'd like, but I think it's probably easier to start at the underarm and work up to the live stitches at the collar. Hope that helps!