Thursday, March 18, 2010

Patternum Novum: Cloudy Sunday



Cloudy Sunday - $4 at Knit Picks or Ravelry (no account required)


Sizes: XS (S, M, L, XL, 2XL, 3XL, 4XL) (The sample is a size S with about 1/2" of negative ease.)
Finished Measurements: 28” (32”, 36”, 40”, 44”, 48”, 52”, 56") bust
Yarn Requirements: Knit Picks Swish Bulky, 6 (6, 7, 8, 9, 9, 10, 11) hanks of Squirrel Heather (100% Superwash Merino Wool; 137 yards per 100g hank); or 718 (820, 923, 1025, 1128, 1230, 1333, 1435) yards/ 656 (750, 844, 937, 1031, 1125, 1218, 1312) meters of a similar bulky weight yarn
Needles: US 10 (6.0 mm) circular needle (length needed is determined by bust measurement), same size of needle for working sleeves in the round (e.g. DPNs, two circular needles), same size, shorter needle for working cowl in the round (16” for XS-L, 24” for XL-4XL), US 10.5 (6.5 mm) shorter circular needle for last half of cowl, to give it drape (optional)
Gauge: 15 stitches x 20 rows = 4” in Stockinette stitch



Cloudy Sunday is knit in one piece from the bottom up to the underarms, when the front and back are split and worked separately. The cap sleeves are extensions of the front and back pieces, so the only seaming necessary is just a little bit of stitching up the shoulders. In bulky yarn, this is a very quick knit.



Cloudy Sunday was named after one of my favorite Greek songs. And being a sweater great for layering during those times when it's not quite winter and not quite spring, when it's sunny one day and raining the next, I thought it fit. I was originally inspired by the sweaters with huge and dramatic cowls on last year's runways (not that I was actually at any fashion shows...but, you know, I saw them in Vogue), but wanted to make something wearable. The cowl is still pretty big, but the silhouette isn't quite so exaggerated. I like the look of it under a jacket, too.



The Swish Bulky was amazing to work with and to wear. It's soft and squishy and not too dense. I highly recommend it for this and other projects that call for bulky weight yarn!

22 comments:

barefootrooster said...

hilary! you have been busy! another stunning design. love the cowl on this sweater -- and, as always, the styling is fantastic.

Aline said...

I am loving those big collars...your sleeves are so cute too. You're on a roll. Yay!

saraq said...

wow! wonderful pattern. I like so much the big collar,and you're very pretty :))
xxx sara

Jewleigh said...

What a cute sweater! I love the cowl as well :)

Clumsy Knitter said...

Wow, you just keep cranking out great patterns! I LOVE the cowl neck. It's perfect!

Chantal Boucher said...

Superbe! I love the short sleeves.

Thea said...

Adorable! And I want to know about those shoes....

Maryse said...

This is a great design! I love it! Congratulations!

Mr Puffy's Knitting Blog: said...

It's a terrific design, Hilary! Looks smashing on - love it with the jacket especially! Enjoy :)

jennifer said...

SOOO amazing!

Lisbeth K said...

Lovely sweater - and stylish photos! You rock!

/Lisbeth

orata said...

so stylish! I love that big collar! And I bet it's so cozy in Swish.

Julie said...

Absolutely gorgeous!! Such a classic looking sweater, you could definitely pull that on with anything and look great. Another one to the queue!!

The Paskins said...

Might be one of my favorites! I'm a sucker for cowl necks (the bigger the better), even when they went through a terribly uncool phase :) LOVE it with the jacket!

Jacey said...

It's adorable! And also, I covet those shoes (although I could never walk correctly in them!).

Philigry said...

i have been waiting for this! I adore it! I can not wait to own one! love the stylling! perfection!

Virginia G said...

Love it! What a great pattern.

a friend to knit with said...

hillary! you are SO talented!
this is SO beautiful...
love the length. the cowl..
the teeny bit of stitching!.... the way you are wearing it... especially under that jacket!
and of course, the name is great, too!

Renee said...

Gorgeous!!

Lisa Stepi said...

This is gorgeous - so stylish, love the cowl! Congrats on another published pattern.

Ella said...

*love*

Teresa said...

So awesome!!!! I really like it with the jacket.