Saturday, November 6, 2010

Patternum Novum: Asteria Cardigan

When Melinda of Tess' Designer Yarns asked if I would be willing to design a simple cardigan with her scrumptious Bella yarn, I jumped at the opportunity. I had purchased a precious skein of this yarn at last year's Stitches West so knew how soft and lovely it was (wool, silk, and alpaca - yum!) and, since I hadn't had a chance to knit it up yet, I was excited to get my hands on it. Unfortunately, things took a little longer than planned (my whole first trimester left me feeling pretty exhausted and icky overall, so there was not a ton of knitting going on), but once I started, I did not want to put it down. What resulted is the cardigan below, Asteria*.



Asteria - $6.00 via Ravelry (no account is needed) or the Tess' Designer Yarns website



Sizes: XS (S, M, L, XL, 2XL, 3XL)

Finished Measurements: 30 (34, 38, 42, 46, 50, 54)” bust

Yarn Requirements: Tess’ Designer Yarns Bella (70% Superwash Merino Wool, 20% Silk, 10% Alpaca; 165 yards per 150g skein), 3 (4, 4, 5, 5, 5, 6) skeins or 485 (550, 615, 680, 745, 810, 875) yards / 445 (505, 560, 620, 680, 740, 800) meters of a bulky weight yarn

Needles: US 10 (6.0 mm) circular needle (length depends on size made) and same size of needles preferred for working sleeves in the round

Gauge: 14 stitches and 19 rows = 4 inches in Stockinette Stitch



Asteria is a simple cardi inspired by the shape of a Chanel-style jacket. The body and sleeves include no shaping to give it that almost-boxy look. But it's long enough to not be too boxy, and knitting it with no/negative ease in the bust gives it some shape. The sleeves are set in...



But everything is knit in one piece (bottom-up) after the sleeves are joined for a completely seamless construction. I liked the idea of lace in this thick, bulky-weight yarn, so a border of Bead Stitch lines the entire piece. It's a pretty quick and simple knit, but it will keep you on your toes as there are some different sets of shaping going on at the same time.



*For those who are curious, asteria is modern Greek for "stars", and Ancient Greek for "starry". When the time came to name this pattern, the Giants had just won the pennant and I wanted to tie that in somehow. Well, Asteria was an Amazon warrior killed by Herakles (not necessarily a Giantess, but, you know...pretty tall) -- add to that the starry shape of the Bead Stitch lace and the fact that I think it is amongst the prettiest of Greek words and it was a done deal.


Yep, there's the bump. :)

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the sweater but love the baby bump even more!
Go team Callis!
Jo

Aline said...

and me that loves everything Chanel...gorgeous. Photos are stunning! Glad you are feeling better. Ali xx

Kasias said...

Super...

Jodi said...

So pretty! It manages to be both elegant AND cozy-looking, which is a tough combination to pull off.

Helga Marie Bee said...

ok so of course I have already got the pattern!!
Now the trick is to actually knit with it!!!!

Maryse said...

This pattern is absolutely superb! Love love love!

Mr Puffy's Knitting Blog: said...

This is such an elegant sweater!!! I like the Greek name and in a way it reminds me of the Greek key design that is so popular in jewelry with the ornate edging. Oh, it's smashing!!! Well done ~ and enjoy :)

Virginia G said...

Lovely pattern! I adore the color.

peaknits said...

Very pretty - you and the sweater!

Marilyn Sarasquet said...

Saw your mom at the Thrift & Gift and she told me the good news...Congrats!! I am also excited to see the little boy things you will be knitting. It's always fun to look to see what g!you are creatin

Karina said...

What a gorgeous new pattern, Hilary. And you look so beautiful. Congrats again!

Julie said...

Absolutely lovely, Hilary... you've done it again. And no one has ever looked more beautiful while pregnant, I must add!

The Paskins said...

Love the pics from "home" :)

Remember when we used to do photoshoots in the living room? So, so, so bad.

Joanna said...

Oh my heck, I have memories of those photoshoots in the living room too. lol!

Hil, you look amazing and I love the pattern. It is beautiful! (so is the bump!!)

Teresa said...

Beautiful pattern! You're so amazing. I love how you've worked with the bulky yarn. It looks so soft and warm.

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous -- you and the sweater!

What color did you use?

jennifer said...

What a lovely combination of simplicity and elegance. And a perfect way to show of the bump!

the Lady said...

It does look Chanel! You need to check out Threads magazine, (have you?) not this issue, but the last one, there was a spread on Chanel jackets. Anyhow, if you don't already read how-tos of sewing, I think you should, because I bet your brain would make some pretty darned in interesting associations.
I like the design!

a friend to knit with said...

absolutely gorgeous! as is your bump. :)

i can just imagine what your talented mind and fingers are whipping up for that little guy!