Thursday, April 29, 2010

Patternum Novum: Lilas Cardigan



Lilas- $5.00 on Ravelry (no account required)


Sizes: XS (S, M, L, XL, 2XL, 3XL)
Finished bust measurements (when sweater is closed): 28.5 (33, 36.5, 41, 44.5, 49, 52.5)”/ 72 (84, 93, 104, 113, 124, 133) cm
The sweater is shown in size S with about ½”/ 1cm of ease.

Yarn requirements: Knit Picks Simply Cotton Worsted, 5 (5, 6, 6, 7, 8, 8) balls of Haze Heather (100% Cotton; 164 yards/150 meters per 100g/ 3.53oz ball);
Or 691 (800, 885, 994, 1079, 1188, 1273) yards/ 632 (732, 809, 909, 986, 1086, 1164) meters of a similar yarn

Gauge: 18 stitches and 25 rows = 4 inches/ 10cm in Stockinette stitch

Needles: US 7 (4.5mm) circular needle and same size of type preferred for working sleeves in the round (e.g. dpns, two circular needles)

As mentioned in a previous post, Lilas came about when I received some gorgeous lilac-colored yarn and wanted to use it in a comfy-but-chic warmer weather sweater that could be worn with a variety of things. Now you can make one, too!



Lilas is a simple cardigan, knit from the top down with a raglan yoke all in one piece (read: no seaming!). I meant for the sweater to have a little bit of ease, but because it's knit from the top down and because of the overlapping fronts designed to be worn open, fit is easy to customize. Techniques in the pattern simply include knitting and purling, casting on, and increases and decreases, so this would be great for beginners.



To wear closed, all I did was pull the sweater into position and safety pin it in place under the collar, which is big and floppy enough to hide whatever fastener you might use.



Thank you so much for all the encouragement I received when I first posted about Lilas. I hope you enjoy the pattern!

21 comments:

ColorSlut said...

Great sweater. Just added it to my queue :)

Thea said...

i'm more than halfway through enjoying it!!!

Sue said...

Great -- a perfect summer knitting project. Enough with the wool socks!

Unknown said...

Love it!!! Wish I didn't have so many things on the needles.

Barbara S. said...

Yay! Thank you...going to buy it now....presently knitting a cardigan in fingering weight (what was I thinking) and am so happy to use worsted weight for such a lovely and feminine design.

Teresa said...

Lovely, as always. I'm loving the simple fastener for the collar. What a great idea! I struggle sometimes with ideas re: closure for knits. This is a fantastic fix - and it looks really good too :)

Mr Puffy's Knitting Blog: said...

That looks so incredibly wonderful to pull on! Casual yet stylish ~ a perfect combo :)

If you used an ornate clip fastener I think that would dress it up too. An all around wonderful design, Hilary!

peaknits said...

This is so simply gorgeous! I love it - added it to my queue already - now to find the right cozy yarn - yours is fab-u-lous!:)

Michele said...

Sent my daughter the link to your blog. As soon as she was done teaching for the day, I got a call. Love it, I want it! So ordered the pattern and yarn. Can't wait to get started.

a friend to knit with said...

yep. this is on the to do list!
love it hilary!!!

Julie said...

So gorgeous!!! I love the structure of it, looks so simple but complex. Awesome design!

Anna said...

This is such a lovely cardigan! It has a combination of cozyness and elegance, very impressive.

Ann said...

Very elegant jacket!

keri said...

What a gorgeous and stylish design (as always!) - you're so talented! =)

Carmel said...

It's so beautiful! I can't wait to make it. along with Aurelia and Cloudy Sunday!! My brothers fiance loves the first citron I made and my sister-in-law loves the one I made her out of worsted weight!!
Carmel

Jana said...

Hilary,
I am so inspired with your gorgeous sweater! You have given me the courage to knit my first sweater. I cannot thank you enough! Thank you too, for providing this in my "curvy girl" size. LOVE IT!

mommyk8 said...

Printing it out now! Thanks so much for this pattern, it's pulled me out of a major knitting funk. I plan to use a cotton/silk blend that I've been saving for just the right project. Can't wait to cast on!

sophy said...

have i told you yet that i love this cardigan? i just need to finish my saroyan and baby tea leaves cardigan (for a friend), then i'm adding this to my queue.

=D

melcauble said...

I'm really enjoying the pattern but I think I've found an error. Can you please contact me via email?

Hilary said...

Hi Mel -- I don't see an email address associated with your Blogger account. If you'd like to correspond via email, please email me at the address I provided in the Lilas pattern. Thanks!

Annie said...

I'm starting the Lilas Cardigan this weekend! So excited!