Friday, May 30, 2008

Res Completa: Snow White



Pattern: Snow White by Ysolda Teague
Size: Small
Yarn: Valley Yarns Stockbridge, 7.5 skeins of deep teal
Needles: US 7 24" circular and dpns
Start to Finish: Ugh, forever ago

Mods: Well, I realized soon after casting on that the circumference of the bottom of the sweater (~28") was going to be much too small -- like 6" too small. Of course I kept knitting in denial for several rows until I decided to do something about it, but I did indeed abandon that first attempt*. For the second attempt, I was too lazy to do the beautiful but time-intensive tubular cast on again, so I simply did a cable cast on, but this time with 32" of stitches instead of 28. To account for those extra stitches and to get to the same stitch count as in the pattern a couple of inches below the waist, I just did the beginning set of decreases twice. Perfecto.

(*I spent forever on that tubular cast on and no way was I going to rip it out -- those first abandoned inches are working perfectly as the beginning of a hat!).



Notes: How cool is the back of this sweater?! I rarely read a pattern in its entirety before starting it, so I spent most of the time working on this thing wondering how on earth the shoulders were shaped like that and how that little starburst of stockinette was formed. The secret ended up being grafting, and I just think it's the coolest thing ever.

If I were to knit the sweater again, I would put a stitch or two between the slanted decreases at the very bottom of the sweater. I've done this before -- when the decreases are right next to each other, I get a little hole between them. You can see this somewhat in the photo below. It's not a huge deal, but it doesn't look as neat as I'd like it to.



A note on the yarn: I quite liked the Valley Yarns Stockbridge! It was nice to work with and though it's started pilling a little bit and doesn't look quite as sturdy as I'd like in a garment that is stretched to an insane degree, it is surprisingly soft against the skin and I think the color is very pretty. The advertised gauge for this yarn is slightly under what Ysolda called for in the pattern, but like a good little knitter I swatched and blocked before starting and was able to verify that it blooms up to 18sts/4" after being washed.

Final verdict: This sweater is so flattering, especially for someone like me who is a little less endowed in certain areas (if you know what I mean). Those darts work magic! Actually, according to the Ravelry-browsing I've done, this sweater works magic in many different ways and on many different body types.

On its own, it's a little on the sexy side for the office, but I think it works well paired with a button-up top.



Gotta love a versatile knit!

15 comments:

chrispy said...

How beautiful. I have been wanting to knit this pattern for a while but I just have too many "I want to knits" to do anything about it.

Fabulous. I totally understand the tubular cast-on bit. I could not figure out the tubular cast-on even after watching many videos so I wrote up my own which is so easy.

Thanks for showing all the way around the sweater and with a shirt. I agree it is very versatile.

Margo said...

Fantastic knit! It took my breath away...really. My co-worker said,"What's wrong?" when I gasped, so I had to show you off. She was thoroughly impressed as well. I've always loved that color; it's perfect for you!

peaknits said...

Wow, what a flattering sweater - it's positively gorgeous!

LizKnits said...

That sweater is fantastic and looks great on you!! Congrats on such a great job.

Mr Puffy's Knitting Blog: said...

It's absolutly beautiful on you! Congratulations and, as some say, BRAVO! You tapered (sp?) the neckline really well so that you CAN wear it without the blouse. But I really like it both ways you show it and it couldn't fit you any better.

Mr Puffy's Knitting Blog: said...

I forgot to tell you that the necklace really sets off the sweater so nicely.

Kathleen Dames said...

That is lovely. I'll have to add it to my queue.

Ella said...

Love. The color, the pattern, the fit... it's gorgeous. I love how it sets off your skin tone too - just beautiful!

Team Knit said...

Wow- It is absolutely gorgeous!! And you're right, that back is great. thanks for the tip about the extra sttich between the descreases, I agree it makes for a more finished look.

You did a fantastic job!

- Julie

Teresa said...

So beautiful! I like yours better than all others I've seen.
The colour is lovely - great choice!

maitai said...

wow, i have always thought the back of the sweater is the most beautiful part. congratulations! it looks great on you!

Anonymous said...

I've long admired Ysolda's designs. This sweater looks amazing on you!

Philigry said...

this is stunning on you! really, beautiful!

the Lady said...

Wow, that looks really cool. If that's too sexy for the office (sans button-up), I'm thinking those scientists don't get out much.

Lisa said...

What a gorgeous sweater! You did a great job.

I've added it to my queue on Ravelry.