Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Res Completa: Lace Ribbon Scarf the Second

Greetings from Ithaca*! I've been here for meetings all week, so I'm way behind in all things knitblog related, but I wrote this post last week (well, not this particular paragraph) and quickly took some pictures before leaving. So without further ado, here is my second Lace Ribbon Scarf, this time in purple!



Pattern: Lace Ribbon Scarf, by Veronik Avery for Knitty Spring 2008
Yarn: Koigu KPM, 4 hanks
Needles: US 3 circulars
Start to Finish: Around June 8-24, 2008 (I'm getting really bad at keeping track of these dates).



Notes: There's not much to say about this scarf except that it was quite pleasant to knit. I had such a nice time knitting and was so pleased with the outcome of my boss' Lace Ribbon Scarf that I decided to cast on for another soon after its completion. For a couple of weeks (possibly more), it was my go-to traveling project. I'd knit a row here and there and use it to keep my hands occupied during many comings and goings -- to work, from work, on business travel, visiting my family on Father's Day. Once finished, it blocked out to a massive 8 feet (!!), which is enough to wrap around my neck about 158 times or to let it hang down to the floor.



I'm a big fan of this color. There's a large Gap billboard that I pass every night on my way home from work that shows several young beautifuls all wearing a similar shade of dusty plum. And instead of buying into the advertising and immediately ordering every article of clothing the ad is selling (even the weird jumpsuit looking thing, which I want badly), I can come home and look at my scarf and feel satisfied.



The color also reminds me of grape Laffy Taffy, which makes me kind of hungry. Anyone else ever have weird flavor associations with yarn?

The only problem with this scarf -- I have to make sure not to wear it the same day my boss wears hers. We all know how embarrassing it is to show up somewhere wearing the same thing as someone else. The fact that hers is a gift I made for her would make it even more strange...

*I would be so stoked if I were on the Ionian island and former home of Odysseus, but I'm actually just in upstate New York.

13 comments:

Chrispy said...

Lovely scarf. I keep wanting one and I have never knit a scarf.

I could have the boy knit me one. He got bored with the garter stitch one he finished earlier this month, which I just realized I have no clue where he hid it after I blocked it for him. Hmmm...

jennifer said...

Ooh, beautiful! Very classy.

I haven't had any food associations with yarn lately, but I did just buy some buttons for a nearly-completed scarf that remind me of jell-o salad!

Gudrun Johnston said...

Lovely colour...looks gorgeous!

Mr Puffy's Knitting Blog: said...

Stunning scarf! I love that you can wrap it multiple times - that is such an elegant way to wear it.

When I look at yarn I only see clothes - not food :)

Anonymous said...

I love how it looks! Really more grape than the lavender I expected.

the Lady said...

Oh man, I can't wait to see the jumpsuit!

peaknits said...

So pretty!!

Team Knit said...

It's so, so pretty, and you're right- that colour is so of-the-moment, yet not in a trendy, gone-tomorrow sort of way. It's an awesome FO!

- Julie

Teresa said...

That's a very beautiful scarf and lovely colour! Incidentally, I *wish* I had flavour/yarn colour connections. Perhaps now that the idea's been introduced to me, it'll catch on :) Hmm... I need more chocolate brown yarn, methinks.

Philigry said...

so glam! love it.

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous scarf! I love the color too.

Susan said...

That came out so beautiful. I lurve laffy taffy and the color is perfect! lol.

Meghan said...

Hi Hilary,

Thanks for visiting my blog earlier. It's funny, I had decided to start the lace ribbon and just a few hours later saw this post on your blog--I think it was a sign that I was on the right track! So far it looks like a winner!

Meghan