Friday, October 2, 2009

Res Completa: Audrey in Unst

This might be my favorite sweater. Like, ever.



Pattern: Audrey in Unst, by Gudrun Johnston for Twist Collective
Yarn: Brown Sheep Nature Spun Sport, 4 skeins of Scarlet
Needles: US 3, 4, and 5 circs
Start to Finish: August 27 - September 18, 2009

Mods: This isn't really a mod per se, but I had a very hard time getting row gauge with this yarn (way too few rows per 4 inches) so ended up having to make a few little tweaks. I'll be honest, I was a little worried about knitting lace and top-down, set-in sleeves in the wrong row gauge, but after swatching a bazillion times and coming up short, I just went with the needles that got me stitch gauge and figured I'd deal with any potential problems as I got to them. So daring, I know.

For the body up to the armpits, this wasn't really an issue. For the bits with no shaping, I just calculated the length (instructions were given in rows, not inches) and worked to that measurement. When the waist shaping came into play, I figured some extra length would be ok, so I just worked the number of rows called for. It got a little trickier after the armpits, so I kept a very close eye on the length of the piece and omitted rows as necessary, including two repeats of the lace bib pattern. Somehow, it all ended up ok. Phew!



Notes: Firstly, I love the design of this sweater. Upon first laying eyes on it when the Fall Twist Collective came out, I immediately determined that I wanted one in every color. It's such a classic, wearable style (would go well with jeans, skirts, dresses...jumpsuits...satin harem pants...I can't really think of a type of outfit that this wouldn't work with), and the twisted ribbing and lace bib add that little extra oomph to the classic shape and also makes for some fun knitting.

Not only that, but I learned a great deal knitting Audrey, too. Having only ever read about the elusive top-down, set-in sleeve, I was thrilled to experience one in the wild. And applied i-cord edging? Fabulous. Why have I never done an applied i-cord edging before??

Love. Love, love, love. What color should I do next?

31 comments:

Cyn said...

Gah! I want one! So pretty.

Laura said...

Absolutely beautiful! I love the colour. So vibrant - perfect for autumn!

Anonymous said...

this is awesome. any chance we'll get to see a picture of it with satin harem pants?! also, this color looks terrific on you!

Katlyn said...

I love it

Clumsy Knitter said...

Wow--that looks fantastic! I admit that I didn't think much of it when it first came out, but I think your photos show how flattering and versatile it can be. Love the color, too!

Ivete said...

It's gorgeous and very flattering on you! Congrats on a great knit!

Ellen said...

This is so cute! I saw the pattern a little while back and liked it, but after seeing your FO this is definitely going in my queue!

Helga Marie Bee said...

Love it. just sent the post to my SIL so she can make herself one!

Teresa said...

That's seriously the awesomest of sauces. I love everything about it! You've sent me off to enhance my queue :)

Mr Puffy's Knitting Blog: said...

Very classy Hilary! That's such a great sweater and as usual is a perfect fit on you :) Thanks for pointing out this gem of a pattern ~ I think I'm going to have to knit this now too!

Thea said...

I love Audrey too! And seeing yours, I am eyeing some yarn in the stash...

Belinda said...

It's gorgeous! It looks fabulous on you too :) Great colour.

Belinda said...

It's gorgeous! It looks fabulous on you too :) Great colour.

Brenda said...

Beautiful! I have the pattern for this sweater, and so I am glad to hear that you enjoyed the pattern. I am excited to try the applied I-cord edging. It looks so neat and finished.

the Lady said...

Looks hot!

orata said...

It looks great! I love the color.

Anna said...

It looks fabulous! The color is amazing, and I love the vintage style. Adding the pattern to my queue... thanks for the inspiration!

peaknits said...

Wow - nice job - this sweater is amazing! Everything you knit is incredible to me - and to learn so much vicariously - thank you!

Maybe Black or olive green?

Gudrun Johnston said...

Thanks for that awesome review Hilary! You did a splendid job!

Katlyn said...

I just wanted to let you know I gave you a blog award :)

Leah said...

It looks great! I have to admit, the pattern didn't jump out at me from the photos in Twist Collective, but your pictures definitely make me want to put it on my list. :)

Lisa Stepi said...

It's gorgeous! I think your next one should be green :) And I wasn't drawn to that design in Twist, but after seeing yours I really want to make one!

Ella said...

Very very pretty! Love the color. And the fit! Don't you love it when a project comes out so beautifully?

Team Knit said...

wow, that cardi is absolutely stunning!! What an awesome FO, it looks like you'll get a tonne of wear out of it. Great job!!

- Julie

Eliza said...

didn't you just finish a sweater? I've totally got sweater finishing envy!
it's gorgeous! I love it!

jennifer said...

WOW! Gorgeous!!!

Journeying Five said...

looks positively stunning on you!

Philigry said...

oh, this is so beautiful! I love it too! I say Kelly green next, of course.

Lolly said...

Total winner! lovely cardi. I say a green one would be perfect :)

Anonymous said...

This is my favorite of all your recent sweaters - perhaps because its in my favorite color. But also because it probably looks so good on so many different people. And a couple of people mentioned not being drawn to it in Twist, but want to make it now. I agree.

Sue said...

It is gorgeous and I can see why you would want one in every color too. I always love the patterns in Twist Collective, very original designs.